Hope in Dope Places: Fate and Faith...

The original article was written on August 3, 2017. This is an edited and updated version. It is simply an article composed during one of the darkest phases of my younger years.


After finishing my final papers at Caleb University in 2016, I went to Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Ile-Ife, Osun State, to spend time with my friends. I was wondering what the next phase of my life had to offer, distressed and anxious about what tomorrow would bring; I eased myself with the word of God and also conversations with friends.

Hope in Dope Places (Photo Credit: IG)


While I was alone, I penned the article, "Hope in Dope Places". It was written from a place of heartache and fear, as well as hope and faith; we do not know what tomorrow brings; however, we are prepared to live through it.


This is how I felt on the evening of August 3, 2017:

Solace


I am somewhere beyond happiness and sadness; man needs to measure up the predicaments behind this melancholy madness.


As I lay down staring directly at the ceiling with my hand firmly placed in the pocket of my slim trousers, my head rotated across the room before my mind steadily began to creep into the abstract; I saw myself touching the cloud with the tip of my finger. 


Then the atmosphere suddenly became moist, and I was mesmerized by the chill that the sky could bring.

For a moment, I forgot who I was or what mattered; my body was as free as the wind; I lived on the land of impossibilities and indifference. 



Truth be told, I was really excited to be here; I didn't expect the high to end because I was able to fly in the sky with the eagles and soar at the same altitude with the angels despite the fact that I had no wings. For a moment, the demons of my life kissed my ass.




I was happy just for a moment; there was no depression or anxiety, and neither did I experience any form of sorrow, pain, or anguish.



This is it, a happy face that is hardly revealed, but once this wears away with time, I'll return to my zone of loneliness, fear, and uncertainty. I had to laugh with my shades on because I don't want to draw attention to this red-pepperish eye of mine that could uncontrollably shed tears from the bitterness and regrets of the years I don't want to remember. Over and over again, you've let me dream big; I have seen lit moments with a simple swallow, damn, you're magical.




I can imagine my own big, happy family residing in the middle of an ocean, dwelling in my own empire. Touching the lives of people without ever stressing over how much I have left in my account, dear dream, you'll come true; just stick around. 



Up here in this zone, I feel overwhelmed because, in my freelance thinking, you have given me the ability to stretch my knowledge and perspective about life beyond the normal human sense of reasoning. You sure ginger my life, and forever your zone would be lit!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UFF: The Importance of Second Hand Shopping

Nigerian Executives Celebrate Independence Day With Eritreans

Family Summer Picnic: How did it go? (PHOTO STORY)